Monday 12 July 2010

Blood, sweat and tears

Morning all - where does time fly - I had intended to post again last week but with one thing and another....


The boys break up this week and we are really looking forward to Friday.  I'm whittling down the school uniform, if it looks small, holey and generally yucky, it goes straight in the bin after 1 wear - at least it saves on the washing!  Friday will see lunchboxes, water bottles and shoes going straight in the bin.  I try and recycle where I can but after 12 months they've seen better days!


Last week as you know saw us having the wood burner fitted.  It's in and looking great.  I went out Friday night and hubby, true to form lit it - He then had to open the windows as it was so hot (no surprise!).  I think some practice is required - it took him a rather long time to get it going.


Whilst there was lots of mess going on downstairs, I had to get a wholesale order finished.  I had been putting these fabric flowers off for a while as I get bored of doing the same thing (this was 24 flowers and each flower had 2 different fabrics which needed to be cut out).  Nevertheless it got done.



I also set to with finishing a patchwork bolster cushion.  After painstakingly sewing by hand all the rectangles I then mucked up the end bits where the ric-rack and the ribbon is.  No-one else has noticed which is a relief, but boy I was getting hot and bothered doing it.








My gorgeous vintage curtains arrived and I'm mighty pleased.  They arrived beautifully wrapped and in my haste opened them, before photographing them, but I've taken a photo of the lovely packaging.  Take a look at Vintage Home as they do some great vintage items.



Right, work beckons, and if there's time, a spot of decorating so no doubt more blood, sweat and tears!

Ta ta for now.

9 comments:

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Ooh, I love your bolster cushion and your curtains. I'm off to look at Vintage Home now!

Marigold Jam said...

Lovely cushion and the flowers are lovely too.

Jane

KC'sCourt! said...

Love the flowers and the cushion, what a lovely idea.
Julie xxxxxx

bellaboo said...

That bolster cushion is so pretty...I LOVE it!
I'm on the lookout for curtains for the spare room,so I'm going to take a peek at Vintage Home now!

Bellaboo :0)

pip said...

lovely patchwork:)
... usually i find if the woodburner's not lighting quickly it's due to the wood I'm using... it needs to be well seasoned so it's dry... ash is the best... some of the other woods can be difficult to light even if dry. other than that i light some kindling sticks with a firelighter, put some of the smaller pieces of wood on... keep the fire vents closed until it catches and then open to fire it up. once fired up I close the vents to let it burn slow and hot.... ahem...not that I'm a log burner nerd or anything ;)

Anonymous said...

Well done on the cushion, you've inspired me to use up my scraps on two wee ones for our bed!

Hesta Nesta said...

Love the bolster cushion and the curtains. The couple that run vintage home are such lovely people aren't they? Don't worry it took us ages to master the wood burner we have but once you get there they are wonderful and you will wonder how you managed without one!
Jo xx

Unknown said...

Love the cushion!xxx

The sewing room said...

I love your cushion and flowers,at least you will be toasty warm when winter comes with your burner.

Hugs Pat