Friday 17 September 2010

My cool caravan.........

I have been yearning for this book for a while, and finally got it a couple of days ago.




It certainly didn't disappoint - what glorious photo's








I've spent (as a child) a good many holiday's in a caravan and my mum recollects fantastic holidays she had as a child in a caravan.  Caravan's for a while became a little passe, but they seem to be making a revival as more and more people are staycationing.










I'm not sure whether I could immerse myself in the whole caravan 'thing' but would quite cheerfully have one in the back garden to 'play' with.  Having said that, we are off for a little jaunt next Friday evening, to take a ferry to the Isle of Wight and staying in one similar to this for 2 nights -






There's only 10 Airstreams on site so quite an exclusive affair, and all decked out in vintage style (right up my street). 


We booked it via a company called Vintage Vacations who were featured in Homes and Antiques magazine a couple of months ago.  Now I do think this 2 night break in a caravan will be make or break.  I think I'll love it, hubby and the boys think not, as trotting across a field to go to the toilet isn't appealing - where's their sense of adventure.  I hope the weather's kind to us though!


Here's a few more photo's from the book


Have a great weekend!

19 comments:

Lynn said...

I loved this book too - I got it from the library - and got some very funny looks from my menfolk whilst reading it :)
Please blog about your weekend - I'll be fascinated to know what it's like - I've been looking at that holiday too. Have a lovely time.
Lynn.

sylviesgarden said...

I hope that the weather is kind to you. It will be no fun trotting across a field for the loo in gale force wind and pouring rain!
I hope you have fun.
x

Floss said...

Wow - have a brillaint time! Ben was wondering if buying a teeny-tiny caravan (for camping with parents as they get older) would be a good idea, but I'm afraid our parents REALLY need the toliet in the same building as themselves these days, so the idea peetered out... If we'd gone for it, I would have got that book for sure!

Dawn said...

I have seen that book - it is great!
A friend of mine stayed in a caravan at that place on th IOW a couple of years ago - I think she struggled with the toilet arrangments too!

A garden just outside Venice said...

Have a great weekend Sarah, looking forward to reading about your holiday!
xx

Anonymous said...

this book is also on my wish list hope you enjoy you holiday and take lots of photos
i cant wait to hear about it xx

...Nina Nixon... said...

I love this book too though I still can't convert my hubby - I may just have to go it alone!!

Have a fabulous weekend,

Nina xxx

Unknown said...

Wow what a gorg book and what amazing caravans my partner would go nuts if he saw these ;-) He is a 70's freak and has a gorg cortina which we take camping along with his 70's retro dandy (trailer tent) but since the summer he has been on and on about getting a small old retro caravan to pull behind it. I may just have to invest in this book for his birthday next month. Enjoy your weekend ;-)))

Hesta Nesta said...

Have a great time. I especially love the caravan in the last picture, looks like half of a vintage car - gorgeous!
Jo xx

harmony and rosie said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun, I remember seeing a feature about them but in a different mag. Can't wait to find out about your experience with it. Lovely book, I was looking through it not so long ago in our local book shop - gorgeous photos. xx

Amanda Makes said...

I'm really looking forward to hearing how your weekend goes! This book looks really enjoyable....I have caravan envy! Especially the one with the kitchen in the boot! I nearly caused an accident the other day, doing an emergency stop to look at an old caravan on someone's drive! Lots of love, Amanda xxx

melissa said...

I love that book! I often fantasise about holidaying in a dinky little caravan, hope you have a great weekend!

Andrea said...

The book looks really good, am going to try and get it from the library.
I have always wanted to stay in one of the airstreams! can't wait to hear all about it1
Andrea x

SWEDISH HOUSE said...

Hej Hej

Sarah I have had my eye on that book for a while too...Glad your enjoying the eye candy.
Thank you for your comment and your name has been entered into the hat for the CK drawer twice as your follower
Have a lovely weekend
GOOD LUCK
LOVE PEACE enJOY
Julie
x

Anna said...

Very jealous of your upcoming caravan vacation! Have a great time.

I have an award for you over on my blog if you'd like it.

Anna

bellaboo said...

I love that book! I hope your trip will live up to all your expectations..and more,and I will keep my fingers crossed for good weather.
;o)

The Vintage Knitter said...

I recently brought this book too and I love it. I love looking at the interiors and getting inspired, although I don't have a classic caravan as yet! Hope you have a lovely stay in the Airstream.

pip said...

...fabulous, I love retro/vintage caravans... have a great break:)

Ms Charity Case said...

I would love this book, however I would much rather own a vintage caravan or wv camper. Everyone here has such good taste.