Wednesday 24 June 2009

Match made in heaven



As you know from my previous post that I was itching to make Gooseberry and Elderflower jam. Well, I finally did it! The recipe came from my book aptly named 'Preserving' and it was so easy. My concern was the elderflowers bit. I have to confess I didn't know where to look for them or indeed what they looked like.






So armed with a picture of them, we all headed off on Sunday to the PYO. Driving along the gravely drive at the PYO I spotted a bush of them. With my carrier bag I got out and managed to get enough. I feel a little silly now as elderflower is everywhere, in fact I pass some every day going to school??!!! - obvious when you know I guess.


The gooseberry crop was really good and we got a whole basket costing £11! Hubby almost fainted but I convinced him it would be worth it and think of all the gooseberry items I could make!


I couldn't wait to get home and immerse myself into the jam making. The recipe only required 2 heads of elderflower which I was quite surprised with, but after tasting it and smelling it I can understand why. Unfortunately I don't have a thermometer so tested it the old fashioned way - saucers in the fridge, teaspoon etc etc. I finally got there and I'm so pleased with it. I didn't actually realise how perfect elderflowers and gooseberries are together - a true match.



Don't ask me why the jam in the pot looks different from the finished article, I've no idea but I'm sure someone will tell me!


I still had loads of gooseberries left, so made a one crust pie - disaster (not enough pastry and too many gooseberries). Gooseberry jam tarts, and later this week a gooseberry fool.



I haven't deliberately missed out the jam on a couple of them - Jack doesn't like jam so he wanted to make his own tart!


That I think will have me completely gooseberried out.........

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well you have been busy! It sounds like a lot of work to me, but oh so yummy!

Sal said...

Have you tried Gooseberry Fool? Yum!
I bet your jam is gorgeous ;-)

Thecraftytrundler said...

Sounds scrummy!! I have about 10 raspberries growing on my car boot raspberry canes. Won't get too much from those. but could add them to an apple pie!!!

Have a great week !

Sharon xx

salty pebble said...

how yummmmy scrummmy i can sooo see that on a scone with clotted cream! yum! yum! ;0) hee hee

such a lovely blog, glad i found u ;0)

x kazzy x

Josie-Mary said...

I think gooseberries are the devils food...lol!!!
But it all looks very nice :)

Lx @ Twelve said...

My mouth is watering reading your post. Love love love elderflower - especially in fizzy mineral water with a smidge of Smirnoff...
£11 went a long way. Very impressed!

Anonymous said...

Trying something new is good enough. But to be able to eat what you tried, yum. They look delicious.

periwinkle said...

you are definately a braver woman than me !!